Central School is now accepting applications for temporary rentals. Temporary rentals are offered exclusively to artists or art organizations. All interested temporary tenants must call the Arts Council at 337-439-2787 to check for available dates.
Visit the Central School photo tour page to view the conference rooms.
Conference Room Rates:
Room 106 – $60 for 2 hours or less; $100 for half a day (3 to 4 hours); $150 for a whole day (more than 4 hours).
Capacity- 40 people (classroom style seating)
Room 108 – $90 for 2 hours or less; $150 for half a day (3 to 4 hours); $250 for a whole day (more than 4 hours).
Capacity- 140 people (classroom style seating)
Rooms 106 and 108 – $120 for 2 hours or less; $200 for half a day (3 to 4 hours); $300 for a whole day (more than 4 hours).
Room 107 – $25 extra (cannot be a stand-alone rental)
Payment must be received by City of Lake Charles (City Hall, 6th floor) before a reservation can be confirmed.
*Half hours are rounded up. Check required for deposit, written out to the Arts & Humanities Council of SWLA. Check or Money Order for rental rate should be written out to the City of Lake Charles.
Upon approval of reservation, a deposit of $300.00 is due. Please refer to security deposit agreement for specific guidelines regarding policy violations. Deposits will only be accepted in the form of a check.
- Events and functions must be approved by the Arts Council before signing this agreement. Rentals of these two rooms are only available for arts, humanities, and cultural related events and functions including:
- Visual Art Exhibits
- Workshops, Seminars, Conventions, Conferences
- Music Performances
- Board Meetings
- Lectures and Readings
- General Meetings for Arts Organizations & Art Groups
- Theatre Productions
- Demonstrations and Classes
- Dance Performances
- Film Screenings
- Exhibit or Performance Receptions
- Securing the Building: If event takes place outside of normal business hours, temporary tenant must receive the key on the most recent business day from the Arts and Humanities Council staff for further assistance. Keys not returned by the next business day after the event to the Arts Council office will result in a $50 key replacement fee.
- No signs may be hung on any Interior or Exterior wall of Central School without first obtaining permission from a Central School staff member. No nail, tacks, or tape are to be used without authorization from Central School staff.
- All rooms are leased “As Is.” While tables and chairs are available for use within the room, set-up is not included in the rental fee and is not available upon request. There are approximately 20 6 ft. tables, 8 and 90+ chairs available for use.
- Central School is a historic structure. Please respect the building’s age and delicacy by taking special care in preparing for your event. Any damage incurred will result in the renter forfeiting their security deposit.
- On the first day of rental, an Arts and Humanities Council representative and an event representative will conduct a walk-through of the entire area and fill out a condition report, marking known blemishes. At the completion of the event, the Council representative will conduct a follow-up walk-through for any new blemishes, other than usual wear and tear. The temporary tenant will be responsible in repairing/replacing any damages that are incurred during the event rental. The security deposit may be applied.
- Presence of a security guard for any event rental may be required at the discretion of the City of Lake Charles or the Arts Council. Events with estimated attendance of more than 50 guests OR with a majority population consisting of minors will be required to provide a uniformed security guard for the entire duration of the event, including one full hour following the conclusion of the event.
- No alcohol may be served within the facility or on its grounds. The presence of alcohol and/or underage drinking will result in forfeiting the entire security deposit. No cooking or preparation of food is allowed in the building or on the grounds
- The City of Lake Charles, along with the Arts and Humanities Council, reserves the right to deny use of the facility to individuals or organizations that (a) violate, or advocate the violation of the civil rights of citizens, or (b) conduct or advocate illegal activity. The City of Lake Charles further reserves the right to remove from Central School any such individuals or organizations; in the event of the exercise of this authority, temporary tenant waives all claims for damages on that account.
- Liability: Neither the temporary tenant, nor participants or spectators, shall hold the City of Lake Charles nor the Arts and Humanities Council nor any of its employees liable for any accident or injury incurred as a result of traveling to and from or participating in any event resulting from this rental.
- Interruption of Services: Neither the City nor the Arts Council shall be responsible for or liable to temporary tenant for any loss resulting from any lack of heat, water, lights, or air conditioning due to the failure of any of this equipment to operate or function properly through no fault or act of the City or the Arts and Humanities Council.
- Termination of Events by 10pm: All guests and renters must vacate the facility and the grounds by 10 p.m. The Sonitrol Alarm system will automatically arm itself at midnight. If police are called to Central School on an alarm response call, the temporary tenant will be responsible to pay any fees assessed by the police as well as an additional day’s rental.
- Parking: Parking is available in the parking lot behind the building only. Parking on the facility’s grass is strictly prohibited and will be enforced. Any vehicles parked on the grass will be towed at owner’s expense. Arrangements for additional parking in the United Methodist Church’s parking lot may be available but should be discussed directly with the church office.
- Cleaning: The temporary tenant is responsible for cleaning up the room(s) and restrooms immediately after the event. All trash should be brought out to the waste disposal in the Central School parking lot. Any spills that occur on the floor or walls should be cleaned.
- Other Matters: Any matter not herein expressly provided for shall rest solely within the discretion of the City of Lake Charles and the Arts and Humanities Council.
- A $50.00 key fee will be charged if keys are not returned to the Arts and Humanities Council Office by the next business day.
All payments are due in full 2 weeks prior to the event and will be sent to the City of Lake Charles at the 6th floor of City Hall.
For reservation payment, checks should be made payable to the City of Lake Charles. Deposit checks should be written to Arts & Humanities Council of SWLA.