The Art Wars are back in full force!
Are you up for the challenge?
Each April, downtown Lake Charles becomes the place to be during our Spring Art Walk as cafés, restaurants, music venues, and vacant properties are transformed into art galleries for the evening. At the center of the Art Walk will be an explosion of live art at our innovative outdoor Art Wars competition, which will celebrate the creation process with an exchange of fresh ideas and new energy for our city.
Artists, both individual and teams—are invited to create a mural live in front of a street-side audience in only an hour. Art Walk attendees will vote on their favorite mural by depositing tips into each team’s tip jar, and 50% of the tips will go directly to the team. All murals will be featured in the evening’s silent auction, and the artists will receive 70% of their sales.
| When |
Art Wars | Friday, April 24th 2020 from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. | Voting from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. | Silent Auction from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. | Winner announced at 7:30 p.m. |
Registration Deadline | Monday, April 1st |
| Registration Deadline |
The Arts and Humanities Council must receive a completed registration form with a $25 registration fee on or before Monday, April 1st. Registration forms and guidelines are available at the Arts Council office.
| Theme |
This year, the Art Wars is incorporating a specific theme with the competition. Each team is required to create a piece in the theme of Nellie Lutcher and her inspirations. This does not necessarily limit you to portraits of Nellie Lutcher, but rather includes inspirations of her accomplishments in Blues music, Songs, Lake Charles, etc.
| Prize |
Winner will receive the percentage of tips and sales listed below, as well as collaboration rights with Arts and Humanities Council on designing the mural for the new Nellie Lutcher park.
Send payments to:
Arts and Humanities Council of SWLA, 809 Kirby Street, Suite 202, Lake Charles, LA, 70601.
Call the Arts Council office at (337) 439-2787 for information or questions.
**Rain or shine – no refunds**
Adult Art War 2018 | Guidelines
- Up to four artists can be on a team, and the ArtWar is limited to the first ten team registrations. Individuals may compete by themselves. The team must work together within the allotted space and time to cooperatively create a single mural.
- All materials, except for the primed plywood (primed with gesso), must be supplied by the artists. Any mediums, any material, and any theme is accepted.
- Each team will receive a sheet of primed plywood to create on. The size of the plywood is determined by the size of the team. Team of 1-2:3’x4’; Team of 3-4: 4’x6’. Teams may request either size.
- Unless advanced notification is given to the Arts Council, all finished murals will be in a silent auction during the Art Walk. Artists will receive 70% of the sales made off their mural. Unsold murals become the property of the artist or team. Murals that have not been claimed after 8:30 p.m. will be recycled.All purchases of murals within the ArtWars must go through Arts Council staff.
- Each team will begin work at6 p.m. and will finish at 7 p.m.Teams are invited to stay at the Art Walk until the winner is announced and to claim any unsold murals.
- The Arts Council does not encourage censorship, but all teams should create work that is suitable for the Art Walk, which is a free and public event that draws families. Work that should be deemed entirely unsuitable for public view will be removed from the ArtWars.
- Teams must sign in by5 p.m.on April 24th to receive a plywood sheet. Arts Council staff/volunteers will host a table near the corner of Ryan and Broad Street.
- Voting will be determined by tips for each mural. Artists will receive 50% of their tips.
- Arts Council staff & volunteers will gather tip jars at7pm to determine winner. Team captain will later receive a check for 50% of tips and 70% of silent auction sale, mailed to the address provided below.
* 5pm – Check in at Arts Council table at corner of Ryan & Broad Street
* 6-7pm – Art Wars!
* 7:30pm – Winner announced
Submitting an application does not guarantee participation.
If you do not receive an email confirmation within 2 business days of submitting your application, contact [email protected] or call us at (337) 439-2787.
Questions, comments, and suggestions also welcome.
| Registration Form | Adult Art War